Friday, April 23, 2010

Holy Living = Wholly God's

1 Peter 1
  13Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed. 14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

We often make the mistake of thinking of holiness as just behavior, when it is really so much more than that! The core of holiness is not found in the symptom of behavior but in the source of intimacy and relationship with God. We please what we love. We find joy in what we love. So the question of holiness is not, how well you behave? The question is what do you love the most? I am sure Peter had a flashback as he was dictating the passage above to the encounter with Jesus when Jesus asks "Do you love (agape- love unconditionally) me?" Peter replies "yes I love (phileo- love as brother) you feed my sheep'. Again Jesus asks "Do you love (agape- love unconditionally) me?" Peter replies "yes I love (phileo- love as brother) you feed my sheep'. Then the third time Jesus asks "Do you phileo me?" Peter cries and says, Jesus you're God and know all things you know I Phileo you... Feed my lambs."

We see holiness as unattainable, and without sin. Yet in this conversation we see obedience, love, and growth as the way to holiness. I know God is very aware of our sin... that's why He sent Jesus. So if the sin is no surprise and our short comings are no surprise let's love God and become like the thing we love, taking off the things that get in the way of a true relationship with God.

Just some thoughts,
Peace

No comments: